The mistakes… I'm not sure I could count them if I tried. I definitely do more wrong than I do right. I say the wrong thing. To harsh or not enough. Insensitive, selfish. I do the wrong thing or maybe just at the wrong time. It's hard to tell the difference sometimes.
It's like night. Looking up at a clear blue black sky. Every mistake is a star. A tiny pinprick of light shining down from that darkness. Some smaller, some larger. Some go shooting across the darkness like a fireball flung down from the heavens so glaring and vivid that you can't ignore them even if you tried.
In the more remote parts of this planet the sky at night is more bright than dark. Across the Milky Way the sky just kind of becomes a white blur or a kind of a haze. The mistakes taking over the entire sky so many pinpricks you couldn't plug them if you had a million fingers and even if you could you would never be able to figure out where to start.
I know the sky is delicate, I've seen first hand how easy it is to make another hole. It often seems as if the mistakes are unstoppable. How can anyone stand to be close to a madman with a hole punch hell bent on eradicating the darkness, destroying all beauty and peace.
Getting it right on the other hand, now that's a rare occurrence. That number is easy to count. You don't need an abacus for the math, a fourth grader will suffice. It's almost like an endangered species or the Loch Ness Monster. You want so badly for it to exist. People spend countless hours searching but sometimes they're just hard to come by.
So how do we tolerate one another? How do we manage to grow close? How do you manage to spend time with someone much less enjoy it when it seems that all they are doing is poking holes in your night sky. Which is funny because mostly they're just getting in the way of you doing the same thing.
Those stars I was talking about. We never see them during the day. It's not because they aren't there. But the sun shines so brightly that the holes, the tiny pinpricks, even the fireballs they all just somehow fade away. The mistakes are still there they just don't really matter so much anymore.
I pray that in those relationships that really matter, the occasions on which we get it right, those moments shine so brightly in our hearts and minds that all the millions of mistakes just fade into the background. In the face of Love one good moment outshines more bad than you can imagine with three of our small brains.
Now if you'll excuse me I need to get back to work, I have got a lot of holes still to make today and I seem to be running out of daylight.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment