Went to Orlando with my best friend this last weekend. Great trip! We only had a couple of days so we had to pick and choose between all the great stuff to do down there. We ended up going to Sea World and Disney's Magic Kingdom. It was so great just to play for a couple of days. Funny how simple things can be.
When we got to Disney we went straight to Space Mountain. Great little roller coaster. Awesome concept and it really has stood the test of time! Got to love a roller coaster. This one is especially cool. The best part: it's in the dark. You don't see any of the twists and turns coming. Every new dip and swish is a thrill. Kind of like life.
We walked up the hill from there and came to Alice in Wonderland's Tea Cups. If you're not familiar with this kind of ride it is a bunch of cups that two or three people sit in. The cups are mounted on a disk that spins around in a circle. To make matters worse there is a wheel in the center of your cup which allows you to spin the individual cup. All of this equals an intense desire to deposit your breakfast in Mickey's lap!
I love roller coasters but spinney type rides make me want to die! Katelyn on the other hand loves those kinds of rides. So of course she headed straight for it. I bitched a little bit but eventually I agreed. Now I really didn't want to ride the damn tea cups and truth be told I really didn't enjoy it. Much better suited for use as an interrogation/torture device than as a "fun" ride. Point is I went. Now here is the interesting part. Disney being Disney does all kinds of cool little things to wow people. Well, as we were standing in line for the ride a woman showed up and passed out about fifty VIP passes and we each got one. Basically it allowed us to go to the front of the line for the rides all day. We never waited for more than about ten or fifteen minutes all day. It was absolutely awesome! I guess that's life kicking me in the ass and trying to make me learn a lesson. I like it when life uses positive reinforcement. Doesn't happen often, usually dishes out the punishment. Who do I talk to about changing that? I respond much better to the positive.
I've always thought that compromise made very little sense. I want –A, you want –C, so we compromise and agree to do –B. From where I sit neither one of us got what we wanted. That sucks. Let's just do it my way. Then at least one of us is happy.
In reality the way that compromise works is when you figure out how to set aside your own desires and find joy in seeing the other person getting what they want. Katelyn really enjoyed the stupid tea cups and that makes them much less stupid. In fact it made all the difference in the world.
I enjoy the fact that I am stubborn and difficult to deal with. I know that probably seems stupid but I do. I currently am working on allowing my friends to hold on to their stupid imperfections and flaws. The difficult things that they cherish about themselves. In fact for one person I have really learned to enjoy those parts. They genuinely bring me pleasure. Giving someone permission to be flawed is one of the greatest gifts. We all have them and they make all the difference in the world. Beautiful imperfection.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment