Tuesday, June 10, 2008

What The Hell is With People Dying

Another friend's life just changed in a way I can't even begin to imagine. His wife just died. They were celebrating their one year anniversary. Too young… too soon.

I really wish whoever is in charge of arranging these things would go play in someone else's back yard for a while and stay out of ours. We've had enough for a bit.

Another friend's wedding is coming up. I'm sitting here filling out the R.S.V.P.'s (There are several) and thinking about the other friend. How he and she were receiving the same cards a year ago, looking forward to their lives together. As I fill out these cards I have found a line followed by the word regrets. The line is too short. There is no way to fit them all in. Not even close.

Regrets are a funny thing. Some days I look back over my life and find that I have none. I have always believed that I could excuse my actions by the belief that though I may have made a bad decision from time to time, based on the facts available at the time I was doing what I thought was the best thing.

On other days I'm honest with myself.

I don't regret the mistakes, and truth be told there really are very few things I regret. There are a couple of times where I have hurt or scared someone. Either because I lost my temper or made a selfish decision that I knew was wrong when I made it. Those few moments in time I would take back. Those hearts I would heal.

But those things make me who I am as much as the good decisions I have made. We are all flawed and the moments that define us are the ones that matter. The really beautiful part is that we get to decide for ourselves what those moments are. Define yourself by your flaws and mistakes if you want but the truth is that we are all beautiful creatures. Beautiful flawed messes. You really wouldn't want it any other way.

The people that I Love know how I feel about them. I have looked them in the eye and told them so. If they were to disappear tomorrow I would miss them horribly, my heart and soul would ache and bleed, but my Love would follow them into the darkness. No things have been left unsaid. I hope that my friend feels the same way about his wife.

Love looks upon the lover with eyes that see no regrets, only beauty. Beautiful Imperfection.

No comments: